Thursday, May 25, 2006

Lament

O How everything is so far away
and so long ago departed.
I believe that the star from which
I receive such glittering light
has been dead for thousands of years.
I believe that something
frightening was said
in the boat which just passed by.
In a house, a clock
has marked the hour . . .
In which house? . . .
I would like to leave my heart behind
and step out under the immense sky.
I would like to pray.
That one of all these stars
must certainly still exist.
I think I know
which one
has endured,—
which one, at the end of its heavenly ray,
stands like a city of white light . . .

R. M. Rilke


Don't worry mamacitas, i'm not sad...I just like this poem very much.

Besos!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like Rilke too. I also like Pablo Neruda:


I crave your mouth, your voice, your hair.
Silent and starving, I prowl through the streets.
Bread does not nourish me, dawn disrupts me, all day
I hunt for the liquid measure of your steps.


(translated version)

Thanks for the poetry, Edilma.

Edilma said...

What a beautiful poem profesora, thank you so much for sharing it with me. You are a sweetheart.
Besos.

Vicky aka mngg said...

I too like Rilke, good choice!!!

Minnie have you seen Il Postino, it's about Neruda while he lived on a small Italian island...he inspires his postman to write poetry to the woman he secretly loves..it's fab!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, si, Vicky. I loved the Il Postino movie. What a nice movie. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Edilma said...

I cried like a baby when i saw that movie.

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»